Tamdhu distillery is located in the village of Knockando in Banffshire. Its name comes from Gaelic for little dark hill. Like neighbouring Knockando Distillery, Tamdhu is another late 19th century railway distillery that has quietly provided cask fillings for blends ever since, although recent change of ownership has somewhat revitalised the Tamdhu name, with distillery bottlings less rare than in the past.
The distillery was founded in 1896 by a group of blenders wishing to engage in the production of their own whisky. The distillery was built with architectural oversight from none other than Charles Doig in 1897, and the first malt whisky was distilled and laid in cask the same year.
The style of whisky produced here is generally rich and fruity – relatively high ‘weightiness’ and filling strength mean that Tamdhu often suits robust maturation.