Decorating the Southwestern edge of the Speyside region, Tormore is arguably the grandest-looking of Scotland’s distilleries, and is certainly the most attractive of stops on the A95 road into the heart of ‘Whisky Country’. Its granite façade, painted a striking white colour, and large chimney becomes visible from amongst the road meanders. If one were to argue that a Scotch whisky distillery is essentially a ‘romantic factory’ then Tormore would be one’s greatest asset. Mystical power station/whisky factory.
A sizeable and relatively young addition to the long list of ‘Speysiders’, Tormore was established in 1958, and from its early beginnings has been busy at work producing whisky that is predominantly destined for first-class blended whisky labels.
The copper stills at Tormore utilise purifiers in order to promote a lighter style, although malt-leaning grassiness is retained in the spirit due to relatively short fermentation.